[Centos] httpd trademark issue -- here it is!

Mon Dec 20 08:41:38 UTC 2004
Michael Jennings <mej at caosity.org>

On Monday, 20 December 2004, at 02:21:56 (-0500),
seth vidal wrote:

> How can it do it better than rpm? Either it's the same as rpm or
> it's wrong.
>
> any other version comparison result is incorrect.

For rpm, sure.  But for general comparison of version strings, it gets
some right that rpm gets wrong.  (For example, it knows 2.5.4p1 >
2.5.4 while 2.5.4beta7 < 2.5.4.)

> just use the python modules. They link in directly to the rpmlib and
> use its version comparison functions.

Using the appropriate rpmlib bindings for whatever language one is
using is always the most accurate approach.  But if one chooses to not
do so, it's good to understand the principles behind how the
comparison works.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej at kainx.org>
 "Come stand a little bit closer.  Breathe in and get a bit higher.