[Centos] Amavis or CLamAV...or both?

Mon Dec 20 13:29:32 UTC 2004
Benjamin J. Weiss <benjamin at birdvet.org>

Johnny Hughes wrote:

>On Thu, 2004-12-16 at 11:35 -0600, Mike Kercher wrote:
>

>>I think you'd be more than pleased with MailScanner
>>(http://www.mailscanner.info)  I run it on MANY mail servers and don't know
>>how I lived without it!
>>
>>Mike
>>

>I have a guide to install a PostFix mailserver (with MailScanner,
>ClamAV, SquirrelMail, and SpamAssassin) here:
>
>http://www.hughesjr.com/content/view/9/30/Guides
>
>But amavisd-new is available as a package via yum from Dag's
>repository ... so I might be easier to install:
>
>http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/

I tried to use the amavisd-new from Dag's site.  I ended up removing
it.  I couldn't verify whether or not it was actually using
SpamAssassin.  The log file said that amavis was finding SA, but I
wasn't finding any of the SA headers in the email I was passing through
the server.  I couldn't figure out how to troubleshoot the problem, and
was running out of time.  Also, I couldn't be sure, but it seemed like
it was calling SA cold for each email and eating the resources accordingly.

I ended up using spamd (the Spam Assassin daemon) and calling spamc from
a procmail script.  Then I installed clamd (the clamav daemon) and
clamassassin (a procmail interface for clamdscan) and call that with a
procmail script as well.  I'm happy with the performance, and I can
monitor what clamav and spamassassin are doing, which I like.  At this
point I'm considering adding another virus scanner for redundancy, but
the clamav folks seem to respond to new virii pretty quickly.

My old email server used Mailscanner with SA and f-prot.  The only
complaint I had with it was that you have to install postfix twice, and
sometimes email would get hung up.

My $0.02 US. :)

Ben