[Centos] Issues/thoughts re CentOS-4

Mon Dec 20 16:45:34 UTC 2004
Karanbir Singh <Mail-Lists at karan.org>

Hey!

Johnny Hughes wrote:

> I don't know how they do it, but the MySQL download area also has
> automated mirror selection that seems to work pretty well for me.  Are
> we interested enough for me to ask how they do it?

Would be quite academic to drop in something like GeoIP and use that as
a refrence tool. For anyone interested :
http://www.maxmind.com/app/geoip_country

Running / checking the mirror list for update status every 6 hours could
be built into the central server, mirror handout should be done on the
fly from there. And a setup like mirror.centos.org is redundant enough
to not have issues with 1 or even 2 of the machines being down at a
given time.

--
Karanbir Singh   : http://www.karan.org/
GnuPG Public Key : http://www.karan.org/publickey.asc