[Centos] Re: update killed my x

Thu Dec 23 16:49:38 UTC 2004
beau <phaedral at gmail.com>

[apologies to seth, this accidentally went straight to you instead of the list]
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:23:03 -0500, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
> 2. What specific error messages are you getting? Can you cut and paste
> them? It makes debugging much simpler.
"yum update" gets
Cannot find any conf file

"yum -c /etc/yum.conf update" gets
Error accesing File: /etc/yum.conf

"yum -c /etc/centos-yum.conf update" gets
Downloading Packages
Getting php-mysql-4.3.2-19.ent.i386.rpm
php-mysql-4.3.2-19.ent.i3 100% |=========================|  28 kB    00:00
warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 025e513b
Error: Could not find the GPG Key necessary to validate pkg
/var/cache/yum/update/packages/php-mysql-4.3.2-19.ent.i386. rpm
Error: You may want to run yum clean or remove the file:
/var/cache/yum/update/packages/php-mysql-4.3.2-19.ent.i386.rpm
Error: You may also check that you have the correct GPG keys installed

> 3. output of ls -la /etc/yum.conf shows what?
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     root           25 Oct 28 08:01 /etc/yum.conf
-> /etc/centos-base-yum.conf

> 4. why had you rebuilt your kernel before? Do you have an odd video card
> that needed some special love from the kernel?
Studying for RHCE, rebuilding a kernel was a suggested exercise.
Here's the timeline: I install centos, rebuild the kernel, life is
fine.  I later run yum update, get a new vmlinuz-2.4.21-20.0.1.EL
which, when booted, chokes on X.  If I use grub to boot to the
pre-update kernel all is well.

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 23:59:43 -0500, Rob Patrick <rob at rpatrick.com> wrote:
> This is a big issue a lot of folks are having.
Thanks for that; sometimes I wonder if it's just me.  I'm trying hard
to make the move from dilettante looser to adequate user; somedays I
feel I'm doing better than others.

> You can either go back to your old kernel, or move up to a newer kernel.
Roger.  Using old kernel works just fine.

> I've seen a lot of this discussion over the past
> two days on the White Box Enterpise Linux mailing lists (which are very
> much like CentOS).
White Box was the first rebuild I heard of.  Went with Centos because
the author of the RHCE prep book I'm using says he's most familiar
with it and so it should be a good choice for working through his
book.  Turns out I'm much happier with Centos than I am with that
book. :)

--
Robert Thomas ("beau") Hayes Link
Open your heart, pray for peace, preach healing