[Centos] Updated kernel package for CentOS 3.1 fixes various issues

Lance Davis lance at uklinux.net
Thu May 13 22:25:20 UTC 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Chris Sorisio wrote:

> Lance,
>
> Kudos to all the hard work the CentOS team has put into this
> distribution.  Will the other couple dozen updates be made available
> soon or will we have to wait for 3.2?

They will mostly be built as updates to 3.1, but they are not security
related, they are bugfix/enhancement ... 3.2 involves a new version of
anaconda and respin of the isos and that may not be relevant to 3.1 ....

> What can the community do to help improve turn-around time on Redhat errata?

Volunteers are always welcome :)

The reason the kernel takes so long is that it just takes that long to
build and test.(likewise openoffice)

If you have some decent hardware then it should be quicker ...

As regards the other upodates it is a question of checking whether oatches
apply cleanly, removing trademarks where necessary and testing.

An automatic system is required, buyt at the end of the day manual
intervention will probably always be needed.

Lance

--
uklinux.net - The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.