[Centos] Re: centos] Tape drive problems

Sun May 30 21:47:45 UTC 2004
R P Herrold <herrold at owlriver.com>

On Sun, 30 May 2004, syv wrote:

> Done, thanks.
>
> This leads me to the question:
>
> If the SCSI module is being cleaned out in
> the interval between booting and use of the tape [seems to ,since
> I added it with insmod, now it works]
>
> Why or what is deleting the SCSI module?

 ... modprobe is safer than insmod as a habit, as it will load
the entire dependency chain (when it exists).

The kernel has the autoclean feature to reclain space from
transiently present devices (pccard, usb devices) which tend
not to be set up permanently with kudzu or otherwise
configured.

in the case of a tape drive, it is sort of a coin toss --- I
would rather pay the minimal space penalty and place the
request in /etc/modules.conf, and not have to
think about loading the device.

-- Russ Herrold