[Centos] installing CentOS on the IBM BladeCenter

Ted Kaczmarek tedkaz at optonline.net
Thu Nov 25 00:52:45 UTC 2004

The IBM Bladecenter is one of the worst abominations I have ever come
across. I can see it being a web commerce site in a box, but other that
that the thing is a boat anchor. Their Dlink switches are absolute
garbage, after 9 upgrades I only have to reboot them once a month now.
We tried the OEM Cisco switch, they gave me bad hardware, since their
support people didn't know a frame from a packet they were unable to
resolve it. Finally we sent the Cisco's back. Our rep finally tells us
they are coming out with ethernet pass through, which we purchased. I
pray that these work. The management station hangs about once every 2
months as well. Then only thing I have ever come across that compares to
this POS is Sun's E10k, the memory latency rendered it useless as well.

I am also perplexed how many people got sucked in on these, they where
ripped to shreds on slash dot, the over subscription with 4 ports is
more than 3 to 1, and qos is only of any use up to 4 queues with the
Notrel hardware.

Also their ROI numbers are a joke, ( I am not even considering the 150
or so man hours to get it to work at all, at 125$ a pop that pays for 4
loaded 345's) once you add the whole enchillada up, it is much cheaper
to use 345's even with 14 blades in a chassis.

I also have a hard time putting anything critical on a box that uses
Toshiba laptop hard drives and doesn't have serial console.

I guess if one doesn't need serial consoles, and real local disk IO and
network IO is may be a good solution, but to me its a boat anchor.

Sorry for ranting, but I needed this, just got off a bloody battle with
a moron vendor who had no clue what a don't fragment flag is. They
rolled out a whole bunch of Solaris patches that appear to hard code the
DF flag to set.

Ted

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 15:37 -0500, Phillip_James at gardencitygroup.com