[Centos] should cAos block access to mirror.caosity.org?

Tue Nov 2 17:23:51 UTC 2004
sophana <sophana78 at yahoo.fr>

Rick Graves wrote:

>Hey,
>
>Greg suggested that I take a straw poll.
>
>Should cAos take steps to prevent getting stuck with a
>big ISP bill in the future?
>
>For example, should cAos:
>
>a) for new installs, have the yum.conf point to public
>mirrors, rather than to mirror.caosity.org?

yes of course

>b) make sure that "yum update" does not substitute a
>new yum.conf file that points only to
>mirror.caosity.org?

yes of course.
The yum.conf file should contain the whole commented mirror list, so
changing the mirror is as simple as uncommenting a line somewhere.
It would be better if  yum could include a local configuration file that
is not overwritten by updates, using a preprocessor like cpp, m4 or by
simply adding the include directive...

One more thing, is it possible to have the mirrors with exactly the same
paths, you you can make mirror.caosity.org point to all mirrors?

>c) allow public mirrors to access mirror.caosity.org
>directly, but block direct access by everyone else?
>
>On the other hand, do the benefits of allowing direct
>access to mirror.caosity.org by everyone outweigh the
>costs of occasionally big ISP bills?

what is the mirrors syncronisation perdiod?
if it is about 1 day or less, it should be ok.