[Centos] SNMP problems

Thu Nov 11 20:09:09 UTC 2004
Peter Farrow <peter at farrows.org>

Dear All,

I don't know if this is the right list for this type of question and I
am sure I will be told if its not....

I am using Centos 3.3, with a 2.4.20-30.9 kernel on an Amd Opteron box.
I am using this kernel because
it has matching freeswan modules.

I am also using  the following net-snmp packages:

net-snmp-5.0.9-2.30E.6
net-snmp-devel-5.0.9-2.30E.6
net-snmp-utils-5.0.9-2.30E.6

I find that the values returned for the ethernet traffic (this machine
has six ethernet ports) via snmp are bogus and the same for in and out
octets, bearing no resembence to the actually network traffic.

I have Yummed to the latest of everything, but still no joy, its still
wrong,

If anyone knows of this problem please could you put me out of my
misery.... :-)

In the mean time I have written a perl script to grep the rx/tx bytes
printed by ifconfig and sent these to mrtg for now, but this is not
ideal.....

Regards

Pete