[Centos] Promise raid cards - software raid

Fri Nov 5 06:28:30 UTC 2004
dan1 <dan1 at edenpics.com>

Thanks again for those answers which I'm sure will also interest other
people.

If I understand correctly, I can use software RAID with no disadvantages
over hardware RAID as for reliability in cases of power failures (as long as
we use journalised filesystem), is that correct ?
I'm not in fear about he CPU increase for software RAID, that isn't a
problem to me.
What else do you think I would loose by using software RAID instead of
hardware raid ?

Also, sorry to insist about power failures, but here is the reason: my
provider allows me to have remote reboot on my server, which is very helpful
when the system hangs suddenly as I have no physical access. Curently I must
do a hardware reboot 1-2 times per year and the system starts and runs again
correctly. These remote reboots are power failure types and are more and
more frenquently offered to customers. It avoids us to ask the technician to
reboot the machine.

Your professionnal experience is very instructive. All you said about the
flush problem is thrilling. Do you mean then that having battery bakup RAID
will not help much regarding reliability in cases of power failures ? Then
many people have been tricked ?

Last: is there a mean of knowing what datas have been lost when a power
failure happened ? Can we see that in terms of sectors, clusters or in terms
of files which are corrupted ? Can we see a list of those ?

Thank you a lot, Terrence !

Daniel