[Centos] why developers got stuck with huge ISP bill

Tue Nov 16 18:56:45 UTC 2004
seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu>

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 13:52, Peter Farrow wrote:
> You should re-write yum so that it searches for a different [random]
> mirror for each rpm it needs.
>
> That way the load is spread.
>
> I could run a mirror for you, I would be willing to donate 1/4 meg
> uncontended when my 2 meg  feed goes in in december....
>
> I don't have much bandwidth spare but I want to do my bit...

That would suck for the user, quite a lot.

The whole point of going until you find a reliable mirror is to make it
better for the user.

the best way to offload the load is to organize the mirrors. Have the
primary be mirrors-only and everyone else connect to a list of mirrors.

-sv