[Centos] Equivalence RHEL 3 update1 or update2?

John Newbigin jn at it.swin.edu.au
Wed Oct 6 22:56:24 UTC 2004

This obviously seems to be a point of confusion.  Lets get the correct
information and put it in the FAQ.  Can someone confirm or deny this
information:

CentOS 3.1 = RHEL 3 U2
CentOS 3.3 = RHEL 3 U3

CentOS 3.1 + Updates = CentOS 3.3 + Updates =
RHEL 3 U2  + Updates = RHEL 3 U3  + Updates

Unless you have a very good reason NOT to be running the latest version
of RHEL 3, go for CentOS 3.3, otherwise you will be running with an
insecure system.

Patches for U3 should apply to U2 with the exception of patches which
have other dependencies from U3.  The RPM should know about them and not
install unless you satisfy the dependencies... but the question still
remains, why not just use all of U3?

(Note: I am not very familiar with CentOS3 but with CentOS2 the update
number is a non issue, just install all the available updates and you
will have an up to date system.  I don't know why RHEL3 make it so
confusing).

John.