[Centos] RHN-like system for CentOS?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Tue Sep 14 17:10:24 UTC 2004

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004, Troy Engel wrote:

> Is anyone aware of a Red Hat Network alike system of server package update
> status that could be adapted for CentOS3? I'm not interested in the complete
> management aspect (channels, scheduling remote updates, etc) but merely the
> ability to see your list of systems and determine which are out of date with
> XXX packages. If you happen to manage a large-ish number of RHES3 systems, you
> know what a boon this is. ;)

Hi Troy,

I'd be very interested in a simple tool that can do this against the new
repository metadata. I think it could be part of a tool-set for packagers
and sysadmins. There are some other basic tools that packagers and
sysadmins are currently lacking, like something to clean up
.rpmnew/.rpmsave mess, to backup a system based on what's different from
the rpmdb, a tool to reinstall a system that has been damaged or rooted,
etc...

I've written some of these things for myself in Bash, but like to
reimplement and improve them using python and the python-rpm bindings.