[Centos] OT: firewalls

Tue Sep 7 17:04:48 UTC 2004
Andrew Cotter <Andrew.Cotter at SomersetCapital.com>

I have been following the m0n0wall mailinglist for a few weeks now.  Looks
like a very nice piece of work.  I don't believe it has AV or IDS built in.

You might look at a gateway "appliance" for some of the extra tasks and
leave the firewall to being a firewall.

Might switch to it from freesco.

ref. 	www.m0n0.ch
	www.freesco.org

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-admin at caosity.org [mailto:centos-admin at caosity.org]On
Behalf Of donavan nelson
Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2004 12:52 PM
To: centos at caosity.org
Subject: [Centos] OT: firewalls

What is everyone using for a firewall?

I'm currently using www.astaro.com but their recent releases have soured
me on ASL as a practical solution on my hardware (1.2MHz Athlon, 30G,
and 256M).  I only have 4 computers going through the firewall wall but
it's consistently at 50% cpu load.  There is very little network traffic
(<10k bits per second on the wan connection, < 40k bits per second
between other internal lans (I have 4 internal lans and a wan))

Basically I'm using it for:

packet filtering,
masq,
port forwarding,
IDS,
dns proxy (only if my internal DNS servers have failed)
smtp proxy
smtp virus protection
smtp spam protection
http proxy (caching)
http virus protection
http url monitoring (via Cobain)
the firewall also monitors a bunch of statistics, etc.

I'm looking for something that is installed, configured and runs.  I
don't want to be tweaking this parameter of postfix, that parameter of
the smtp virus protection, etc.  I want something that just works that I
don't need to play with except for new rules, etc.

I'll pay a reasonable price for a package that I can test to verify
suitable performance (I'm not a commercial operation, this is just for
my toys).

At the moment, I'm looking at Gibraltar.  But the community seems
small.  I haven't downloaded it yet but I'm considering it an option for
this round of firewall evaluation.  Any other suggestions for inclusion?

BTW, anything like smoothwall that allows wide open outbound connections
and doesn't support a box with 5 network cards off the CD is not a
viable candidate.

Thanks much all,

.dn