[Centos] email server partition scheme

Dan Pritts

danno at internet2.edu
Fri Apr 1 17:26:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 03:52:37PM -0600, scott.list wrote:
> Another thing to consider it throughput.  High IO servers like postfix
> will benefit from splitting up the partitions on multiple drives.
> That way your IO can be split between drives, lowering IO on the
> individual drives.  A postfix guru gave me a recommended layout once
> for a high usage postfix serve, but I don't have it handy.. sorry.

the most obvious thing is to put /var/spool/postfix (or /var/spool/mqueue
in a sendmail installation) on its own disk.

inside that directory on postfix, you might further split up
  incoming
  active
  defer & deferred

I don't know whether mounting with noatime would be a good idea, postfix
might depend on the date stamps, but it would help performance if postfix
doesn't need it.  if you're using reiserfs, mounting with notail would
definitely help performance.

danno
--
dan pritts - systems administrator - internet2
734/352-4953 office        734/834-7224 mobile