[CentOS] CentOS for commercial use

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 18:55:57 UTC 2005

On Apr 3, 2005 12:40 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

[ snips ]

> I think asking this means that you have a lot to learn about GPL and
> various other F/OSS licenses and what distributions are.

Not really, but I welcome your coments.

> Red Hat contributes much to open source development but they have also
> come to being and fruition by their own exploitation (not meaning in a
> derogative way) of the open source software.

Yes, certainly.

> ... they aren't really selling the software itself, but rather the support, maintenance,
> certification etc. for the software.

Yes again.

> Thus if you wish to accept characterizations of others regarding the
> usage of RHEL packaging that is your choice but it would seem that you
> are getting what you paid for with something like CentOS - you don't get
> support or certification...only the open source software which is
> available for free in so many other packaged distributions.

I raised the characterizations as others only to elicit comments such
as yours. I'm more interested in community support than paid support
or certification. But I'm also interested in all viewpoints about
CentOS.

> Just what 'major work' is it that Red Hat actually does?

Probably, when you get right down to it, mostly work with the kernel
and paying the salaries of some kernel hackers, although the assembly
of rather well crafted releases certainly qualifies as work.

Thanks for your input, but please don't assume that I am ignorant of
the way open software and licensing works. I'm very fond of CentOS (a
believer in the community support model), and I'm looking for
ammunition to support it in every way possible.

--
 Collins
       When I saw the Iraqi people voting three weeks ago, 8 million of them,