[CentOS] Re: centos] CentOS 4 with MySQL 4.1

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Mon Apr 4 19:29:38 UTC 2005

R P Herrold wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Troy Engel wrote:
>
>> Also install 'sysstat' (comes prepackaged with all modern
>> RedHat/CentOS), which is a rewrite of the venerable sa* tools from
>
> Dag's dstat is a even later, and perhaps friendlier implementation.

While not it any way knocking dstat, it's not the same thing as sar; sar
uses two collection agents (sa1, sa2) to record historic data over
intervals to be later interpreted. dstat is a realtime oriented
diagnostic tool, not historic. They are best used together, as they have
two seperate concepts in mind - I think it's better to only compare
dstat with the specific realtime functionality of sar.

-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer
Fluid, Inc | http://www.fluid.com