[CentOS] grub/raid1 on centos4

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Fri Apr 8 13:50:20 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell wrote:
> With Centos3, fedora1/2 I have been able to put /boot on a RAID1
> partition and have it boot normally.  Unlike earlier versions that
> used lilo as the default boot loader, these did not make the 2nd drive
> bootable but at least I was fairly confident that if the first drive
> failed I could use the install CD in rescue mode to fix up the 2nd one
> and go on.   However, Centos4 won't boot at all with a similar install
> attempt and running grub-install in rescue mode gives an error about not
> being able to find the bios drives.  Is there a howto somewhere to work
> around this problem?

If you are used to LILO, it still exist in CentOS4, but isn't the
default boot loader.  You can specify it during the installation, or you
can remove grub and install LILO later on.  It handles /boot on RAID1
automatically.

If you want to continue using Grub, this post from Fedora mailing list
might be helpfull:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-March/msg05935.html