[CentOS] Media check problems

Fri Apr 8 23:50:23 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 18:24 -0500, David Crim wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2005 3:31 PM, Kenneth Kalmer <kenneth.kalmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dear community
> >
> > I've just noticed that the CentOS 4.0 ISO's I downloaded from
> > ftp.sunsite.org.uk fails the media check on installation. All four
> > fail. The md5 checks pass and I've done 5 full installations from the
> > set of failed cd's and no problems what so ever. I never bothered to
> > do the media check untill a friend asked me what it does...
> >
> > The installation works, wonder what the problem could be? Any
> > suggestions or should I provide more information to help fix this if
> > it might be a bug?
> >

> This is becoming a FAQ. It is not just a CentOS problem. It also
> happens to the recent Fedora and RedHat releases.
>
> If you are burning the disks with cdrecord, try adding the -pad option
> to your command line.
>
> You can also try using the ide=nodma on the installation boot prompt:
>
> linux ide=nodma
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave

I also want to point out that this only happens with certain hardware.
This is caused by a problem in the way mkisofs and cdrecord work
together and even though the CD fails media check, it is still good.

If you follow this thread from start to finish, you will see how I am
going to fix this with respin 1 of CentOS-4 by changing the way we make
the ISO files:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2005-March/003347.html

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes