[CentOS] Re: MailScanner SPAM Forward & Postfix Problem (SOLVED)

Kennedy Clark hkclark at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 20:41:00 UTC 2005

I spoke to some very helpful folks on the MailScanner list (especially
Drew) and they sorted me out.  I thought I would share in case others
run into this problem.  First, MailScanner apparently occurs AFTER the
postfix virtual mapping takes place... so you have to use the
/etc/postfix/aliases vs /etc/postfix/virtual_alias.

Next problem: I had to get /etc/postfix/aliases working together with
the /etc/postfix/virtual_alias table. After banging my head on the
wall for about a day, the answer was embarrassingly simple.  You can't
have the same domain in the main.cf variable 'mydestination =' (sends
domains in this list to /etc/postfix/aliases) and
'virtual_alias_domains =' (sends these domains to the
/etc/postfix/virtual_alias table).  So, I did this to create a "fake"
subdomain of sample1.com:

/etc/MailScanner/MailScanner.conf
  Spam Actions = store forward spam at localhost.sample1.com
  High Scoring Spam Actions = store forward spam at localhost.sample1.com

/etc/postfix/main.cf
  myhostname = svr.sample1.com
  mydomain = sample1.com
  mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
  virtual_alias_domains = sample1.com, sample2.org

/etc/postfix/virtual_alias
  joe at sample1.com         joeb at localhost
  joe at sample2.org           joeb at localhost
  bob at sample1.com        bob at localhost
  @sample2.org               frank at localhost
  group1 at sample1.com   joeb at localhost, bob at localhost, bob at localhost

/etc/postfix/alias
  # Deliver spam to local 'spam' shell account
  spam at localhost.sample1.com:     spam

The trick was using spam at LOCALHOST.sample1.com in both
MailScanner.conf AND /etc/postfix/alias (along with having this
subdomain of sample1.com listed in mydestination of postfix).  These 3
items together allowed local delivery without the virtual_alias stuff
getting in the way.  MailScanner was now happy and the spam forward
worked.

Let me know if folks see a better way of doing this.

Kennedy