[CentOS] Cannot open root device "LABEL=/" on 00:00

Roberto DaSilva

roberto.dasilva at chick-fil-a.com
Fri Apr 8 20:10:46 UTC 2005

I have Centos 3.3 installed on a vmware virtual machine on a AMD Opteron
processor.  I upgraded the kernel to version 2.4.21-27.0.2.EL, and now
when I boot the system I get the following message:

Cannot open root device "LABEL=/"

The server boots fine with kernel-2.4.21-20.  I've change the
root=LABEL=/ to use the /dev/sda2, and it did not work.
Does anyone has any ideas what causes the system not to boot?

Thanks.

Roberto DaSilva