[CentOS] MailScanner With One vs Two Postfix Instances

Sun Apr 10 16:52:44 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 12:32 +0200, Jens Vagelpohl wrote:
> On Apr 10, 2005, at 6:50, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> > The postfix guys also say compile your own and don't use the distro
> > version. I say, also use RPMs so you can continue to get security
> > updates.
>
> Even though this topic of prepackaged-vs-RPM is a total rat-hole I'd
> like to note that the "anti-prepackaged" attitude most likely stems
> from the fact that most distros ship either ancient versions or
> versions that simply don't have a lot of desired extensions (or "usable
> versions" of these extensions) linked in.

This is true if you want functionality that is not included in the
software provided by the distro {either because the included version is
an older version or the distro in question decided that you didn't need
that :)}.  I try to stay within the functionality of the distro I have
choose, if possible ... sometimes it is not.
{not to Jens particular, but to everyone :)}
If you are going to compile a program from source (or roll your own
SRPMS/RPMS for it), remember that you will have to keep your own
software up2date ... and weigh the benefits of the new features against
your own skills to keep your software updated :)

Having outdated software installed can lead to you being owned :)