[CentOS] Centos-4 Kernel pannic

James Olin Oden james.oden at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 11:47:51 UTC 2005

This is not necessarily a problem with your hardware but could be a
bonified bug in the megaraid device driver.  The call stack ends with:

    [<f887351b>] journal_commit_transaction+0x310/0xfb1 [jbd]
    [<c011e8d2>] autoremove_wake_function+0x0/0x2d
    [<f8836f24>] megaraid_isr+0x1ad/0x1bf [megaraid_mbox]

megaraid_isr is likely the megaraid Interrupt Service Routine.  The
null pointer derreference occured in journal_commit_transaction().  It
likely that the megaraid_isr driver did not initialize some pointer
properly and journal_commit_transaction() eventually stepped on it.
Could be just a simple bug, or a race condition or, and this is my
guess, the driver does not properly support whatever megaraid chipset
is on your system.  All that said I have not looked at the code, so
this is hypothis based on the panic output.

If I where you, I would load up RHEL 4 (not centos), reproduce the bug
and create a bugzilla report at bugzilla.redhat.com.  The reason I
suggest loading up rhel4 is just in case the kernel symbol locations
are not exactly the same between the centos kernel and the rhel4
kernel which will hinder your support from RedHat engineers.

Cheers...james