[CentOS] Serial ATA hardware raid.

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Fri Apr 15 17:22:46 UTC 2005

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 at 1:11am, Franki wrote

> I'm looking into setting up a SATA hardware raid, probably 5 to use with
> CentOS 4. I chose hardware raid over software mostly because I like the
> fact that the raid is transparent to the OS.
>
> Does anyone know of any SATA controllers that are well tested for this
> sort of usage?

IMO, 3ware is far and away the best choice for true hardware SATA RAID.
The 3w-xxxx driver (for the 8000 series boards) has been in the kernel for
a *long* time, and 3w-9xxx driver (for the 9000 series) has been in a
while as well.  There are some better performers out there at the moment
(Areka, for example), but their drivers are unproven.

FWIW, I currently have 4TB (2 servers) worth of 3ware based storage in
production, and just took delivery of a new 5.5TB server.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering