[CentOS] Serial ATA hardware raid.

centos.org_list at 000a.com centos.org_list at 000a.com
Fri Apr 15 17:35:48 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Franki" <franki at htmlfixit.com>
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2005 10:11 AM
Subject: [CentOS] Serial ATA hardware raid.

> I'm looking into setting up a SATA hardware raid, probably 5 to use with
> CentOS 4. I chose hardware raid over software mostly because I like the
> fact that the raid is transparent to the OS.
>
> Does anyone know of any SATA controllers that are well tested for this
> sort of usage?
[...]
> Any suggestions?

>From experience, 3Ware has the best support for hardware SATA RAID on Linux,
whether on kernel 2.4 or 2.6.  Their drivers have been included in most
distros for a very long time, and even the latest 9xxx cards are fully
supported out of the box, or with drivers you can freely download from 3Ware
web site.  We use their cards on several production servers, including a few
that have 12 SATA drives for massive 3TB storage solutions.  I don't recall
ever having problems with their cards or support.

Chris