[CentOS] Serial ATA hardware raid.

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Sat Apr 16 17:09:16 UTC 2005

Franki wrote:
> It's description:
>   Low-cost, hardware-based data protection for cost-sensitive server and
> workstation environments
>
> And it lists RHEL 2 & 3 in the supported software. (and thereby probably
> 4 as well right?)

That is a fair assumption.

There is no need to download drivers from LSI Logic's web site.

According to their support website it uses the same MegaRAID driver as
their SATA and SCSI RAID soltuions.

With RHEL2.1/CentOS 2.1 it'll use megaraid.

With RHEL3/CentOS 3 it'll use either megaraid or megaraid2 (the former
will be the default)

RHEL4/CentOS 4 should work but you may have an issue with PCI IDs - the
new driver (megaraid_mbox) will work with the older cards such as this,
but lacks the PCI IDs to properly recognize them.

> If I can just get by with mirroring till the hardware budget is in
> better condition, I can just upgrade it to a 3ware and SATA later on.
>
> Ironically I could not see much in the way of decent SATA hardware raid
> controllers on ebay australia, (no 3ware at all actually) but there were
> tons of scsi 360 raid cards and drives going cheap.  how funny is that.
>
> does anyone have any comments on the megaraid i4 ????

Dell used to use them as their CERC cards before they switched to SATA.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us