[CentOS] inotify on rhel systems?

Noah Dain noahdain at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 17:54:09 UTC 2005

On 4/17/05, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/17/05, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 08:02 -0600, Collins Richey wrote:
> > > I just read an interesting article caleed "Monitor Linux file system
> > > events with inotify.", see
> > > http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-inotify.html?ca=dgr-lnxw02Inotify.
> > >

> > Why dont you setup these patches on the CentOS 4 kernel and let us know
> > how you get along ? That link, you provided, seems to have all the info
> > required to make it happen.
> >

> Good suggestion. When I get a round tuit <grin>. I was just fishing to
> see if anyone else had tried this.
>
> --
>  Collins
>        When I saw the Iraqi people voting three weeks ago, 8 million of them,
>        it was the start of a new Arab world.... The Berlin Wall has fallen.
>                - Lebanese Druze leader Walid Jumblatt

just an fyi,

the inotify kernel patch still needs some work.  I tried it out under
ubuntu a month back (with gnome using it), and it was causing my
systems to hardlock.  Falling back to the previous kernel (which was
the same except for inotify) solved all locking problems.  Some of the
kernel's I tried were vanilla 2.6.10 with no other patches applied.

so, I imagine it'll be at least two versions of rhel^H^H^H^H centos
until we see it officially in the kernel.

--
Noah Dain
noahdain at gmail.com