[CentOS] Serial ATA hardware raid.

Michael Weisman mike at theaddoctors.com
Mon Apr 18 13:24:44 UTC 2005

Just to throw in my 2 cents worth...

I've used both the 3ware 850x SATA raid card and currently have an Adaptec
2410 SATA raid card. The machines are database servers with fairly large
databases (75MM records+)

I'm not as deeply technical as many of the others who have responded to this
issue, but having done no tuning of any sort, both cards perform about the
same. In addition, neither of them has failed or been a problem.

Like I said, just my 2 cetns worth.

Michael

On Sunday 17 April 2005 15:51, Franki wrote:
> Phil Brutsche wrote:
> > Franki wrote:
> >> Hi again,
> >>
> >> Phil, according to this:
> >>
> >> http://www.ibiblio.org/peanut/Kernel-2.6.10/scsi/ChangeLog.megaraid
> >> (note the kernel version)
> >>
> >> The PCI id's for the i4 have been added to megaraid
> >
> > <checks again>
> >
> > Ah, so it has.
> >
> > The comments in the .c files in 2.6.11 are out of date then - the
> > MegaRAID I4 isn't in the list of compatible controllers in
> > megaraid_mbox.c.
> >
> >> ii.    Add PCI ids for I4
> >>
> >> Considering the date, I imagine that this change was old enough that
> >> it would have been included in RHEL4.
> >
> > Again, a fair assumption.
> >
> > I would still download the kernel SRPM for RHEL 4 to double check.
>
> Noted, but even if it isn't, I can probably roll me own with support if
> need be.
> (I stopped rolling my own kernels years ago where possible just because
> most of the time there isn't any need).
>
> thanks again
>
> rgds
>
> Franki

Michael Weisman

"chaos is merely a function of the granularity of the sample"