[CentOS] Wine and CentOS quick question

Barry Brimer barry.brimer at bigfoot.com
Tue Apr 19 13:23:53 UTC 2005

Quoting Olaf Greve <o.greve at axis.nl>:

> Hi,
>
> In my quest for finding good means to run W*nd*ws programs like IE and
> Ultraedit I have just decided to give Wine a go.
>
> Now, the machine I have has an AMD Sempron 2300 processor, and the
> CentOS version is version 4 (with all the patches and upgrades applied
> to it).
>
> The question then becomes: which Wine version can I best use?
> There are basically two lines that seem to best match CentOS 4, being
> the one that is RHEL 3 compatible, and, OTOH, the one for Red Hat Linux
> 9 (which perhaps has a closer matching kernel???).
>
> Also, out of those two lines, which one can I best use: the Athlon
> version, or the i686 one?
>
> To summarise:
> My installation is: AMD Sempron 2300 + CentOS 4.
>
> The available options to chose from that I think come closest are:
> 1) RHEL 3 Athlon
> 2) RHEL 3 i686
> 3) RH 9 Athlon
> 4) RH 9 i686
>
> Which one would best fit in your opinion?
>
> Cheers!
> Olafo

I might be more inclined to rebuild a SRPM from winehq.com.  Red Hat 9 has been
out of support for almost a year, and although the Fedora Legacy project may
provide updates, I don't believe they have a current release.  The version that
is released with RHEL 3 would be OK as Red Hat will continue to support RHEL 3
for many years to come.  As this is RHEL, it means that whatever base version
was released when that version of RHEL was new is the version that you will be
using for the long haul.  Any updates will most likely be in the form of
patches that are backported to the base version.  In other words, don't expect
this to be a current version of Wine.  As I recall, CentOS 4 is most closely
related to Fedora Core 3, so I would choose to rebuild the winehq SRPM for
Fedora Core 3 which is located at:
<http://cogent.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/wine/wine-20050310-1fc3winehq.src.rpm>

Barry