[CentOS] Problems installing Centos 3.4 & 4 using NFS + Kickstart

Tru Huynh tru at centos.org
Tue Apr 19 14:58:24 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 03:37:16PM +0100, Dr R L Oswald, Cranfield University UK wrote:
> My hardware is Sun V65x servers, (6GB RAM/2xXeon3GHZ/36GB SCSI disk).
> The kickstart boot works fine with RH9 & Centos 3.1. However it fails
> with Centos 3.4 & Centos 4 but in different ways:
>
> Centos 3.4
> ========
> The kickstart proceeds normally, formats the partitions & starts the
> install. However at 52% of the way through,  it aborts, always on the
> same file: "glibc-kernheaders-nnnn.rpm"
large memory issue? can you try with mem=2048M

3.1 and 3.4 mostly differ on the kernel version,
I have not seen any similar issue here, but not Sun and no 6GB RAM machines.

How does your ks.cfg look like?

You did not tell your arch: i386 or x86_64? Not sure it really matters here.

> Centos4
> =======
> This install gets to the point at where it would normally try & mount up
> the CENTOS4 NFS repository which is on the same server as all the other
> distros (this runs RH9). It then goes into a loop whereby it keeps
> prompting for the name of the NFS server & the CENTOS directory,  where
> it would normally just mount it & proceed with the installation.
Do you have 2 network cards? The 2.6 kernel from CentOS-3 can swap the eth0/1 cards
compared to the 2.4 kernel from CentOS-3.

No problem here either.

Cheers,

Tru
--
Tru Huynh (CentOS-3 i386/x86_64 Package Maintenance)