[CentOS] Software RAID in CentOS (EL)

Francois Caen frcaen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 15:15:42 UTC 2005

On 4/19/05, Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 at duke.edu> wrote:
> If you want the system to survive losing a disk (i.e. it stays up until
> you shut it down to swap the disk (if you don't have hot swap)), you
> must RAID all partitions, including swap.  In a ks.cfg, it looks something
> like this:

The reason I don't softraid1 my swaps is that the default behavior is
striping a-la-raid0 if you have multiple swaps. At least that's my
understanding of it.

You guys bring up a good point in case of drive failure. I never
tested it. Do you guys know what happens if the swaps are not
softraid1? Does the kernel panic or something of the like? Or does it
survive and just operate on less swapspace?

Francois