[CentOS] NTP on CentOS 3.4

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Tue Apr 19 16:38:33 UTC 2005

Jason Dixon wrote:

>> b) Because they're not a part of ntp, but a part of system-config-date
>
> [root at polaris root]# rpm -qf /etc/ntp/ntpservers
> redhat-config-date-1.5.22-3

My bad on that - I used a CentOS4 machine by accident. The name may have
changed slighty but the meaning/point is the same - that file is for use
but the random redhat config tools, not by ntpd itself.

Specify your upstream servers in /etc/ntp.conf like so:

   # http://twiki.ntp.org/bin/view/Servers/NTPPoolServers
   server  us.pool.ntp.org
   server  us.pool.ntp.org
   server  us.pool.ntp.org

   # backups just in case
   server  ntp.ucsd.edu            # (San Diego, CA)
   server  ntp1.maincoon.com       # (Quincy, CA)

Then comment out those silly 127.127.* lines that are in there by
default. This is for your master server; then simply point all your
clients at this new master, and everything will be kosher.

-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer
Fluid, Inc | http://www.fluid.com