[CentOS] CentOS 4 and Intel P4 without Hyper-Threading vs. IntelP4 with Hyper-Threading

Robert Hanson roberth at abbacomm.net
Wed Apr 20 15:45:43 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf
Of John Newbigin
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 4:16 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS 4 and Intel P4 without Hyper-Threading vs.
IntelP4 with Hyper-Threading

I assume you mean by swapping the harddisk to a new box? That should be
fine.  If you are not already using an SMP kernel then you might want to
install it:
yum install kernel-smp
It is optional but might give you better performance because you can use
the HT.
John.

***************

Thanks John!

Yes. That is safe to assume. Yet...

Are you saying that the standard stock CentOS 4 kernel does not recognize
nor use or take advantage of HT on a stand alone Intel processor and
motherboard? This is a 865PERL w/LAN I use for development and testing...

... and that if I upgrade to a SMP kernel on this machine that I will have
no problem on a single processor machine/motherboard and HT will then be
enabled?

I "seem to" recall posts on this list recently where people were "disabling"
HT on their multi-processor Intel boxen because of problems.

Is this the case as well or were they enabling it. I'll see if I can find
out yet if anyone can shed info it would be much appreciated.

Basically I am looking at very simple production reliability and testing
issues.

TIA

  - rh