[CentOS] CentOS 4 and Intel P4 without Hyper-Threading vs. IntelP4 with Hyper-Threading

John Newbigin jnewbigin at ict.swin.edu.au
Wed Apr 20 23:17:43 UTC 2005

Robert Hanson wrote:

> ... and that if I upgrade to a SMP kernel on this machine that I will have
> no problem on a single processor machine/motherboard and HT will then be
> enabled?
>
> I "seem to" recall posts on this list recently where people were "disabling"
> HT on their multi-processor Intel boxen because of problems.

For the most part, it is safe to run the UP or the SMP kernel on any
machine with or without HT and/or multiple CPUs.

In some rare cases, one kernel or the other will not work as expected
(ie. at all) and you might have to supply some boot parameters like
noacpi etc.  If you do have a problem though, just reboot into the other
kernel.

Other people have summarised HT.  If you can afford to test it (on a
live system) turn it off in the BIOS to be safe (or ignore it and use
the UP kernel).

If you do have multiple CPUs or a yet to be released dual core CPU then
you probably want to use the SMP kernel or you have hardware sitting idle.

Some poorly written drivers don't like SMP.  Everything that comes
standard with CentOS should be SMP safe but if you start adding 3rd part
drivers, watch out.

John.

--
John Newbigin