[CentOS] firefox or mozilla won't start

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 03:22:08 UTC 2005

On 4/20/05, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 13:19 -0500, Jay wrote:
> > Greetings
> > When I start firefox or mozilla I get an  hourglass for 3 seconds then
> > nothing happends.
> > Dropping to a terminal and typing firefox just returns to the command
> > line. I re-installed
> > firrefox and it installs fine until I quit then the same situation happends.
> > After re-installing firefox it will run but the same situation happens
> > where it won't start.
> > I have installed int my home directory or into /usr/local/firfox.
> >
> > ( Cent OS 4.0 with all patches applied. Firefox 1.0.2 )
> >
> ----
> cd ~
> mv .mozilla .mozilla.bak

Yes, this sounds like the classic corrupt profile problem.  You could
either follow Craig's advice about moving the .mozilla directory or
you could do

firefox --profilemanager

Also, you say that you have installed firefox in your home directory
and into /usr/local/firefox.  I'm curious why you are installing it
and not allowing CentOS to install it via yum?
e.g.

yum install firefox

Greg