[CentOS] CentOS 3.3 is gone

John Newbigin jnewbigin at ict.swin.edu.au
Fri Apr 22 01:01:49 UTC 2005

I have not looked at Yam, I'll at it to my todo list.  Let me explain my
problem again...

I have CDs of CentOS-3.3 x86_64 (which I downloaded a while back to test
on an Athlon64.  A lack of video drivers meant that the 64 bit version
was no good so the test was abandoned.)

Now I have received an EM64T server (DL380 G4) and I want to test
CentOS-3 x86_64 that, so I installed from the 3.3 CDs.

Now I can point my yum config at the 3 updates directory (which I have
mirrored locally) but there are required patches which are not in there!

I know that the patches are in 3.4 base but I don't want to download
that.  All I want is the changes from 3.3 to 3.4.  If these were in the
3 updates then I would be fine.... but they are not :(

So now I have to download 3.4 and set it up on my local mirror, even
though I have most of the files already on my 3.3 CDs and on my mirror
already.

Worst of all.... when 3.5 comes out I have to do it all again.
And again for 3.6
and 3.7
etc. until 3.28

I think there is a better way.
Make a CentOS-3 updates directory, and every update since CentOS-3 was
released goes in there.  Keep the latest patch and the previous version
and move the older ones into an historical archive (or delete them).

This is what every other distro I have used does (RH6.2, RH7.2, RHEL2*,
RHEL3*, CentOS-2).

* patches were download manually and not with rsync.

Once set up, there is no need to alter the yum config ever again.

John.