[CentOS] different MAC address, ignoring

Les Mikesell

lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 16:04:10 UTC 2005

I think a recent update changed the behavior of ifup on systems where
the drives were moved or cloned and at boot time have a different
MAC address than the one found in the corresponding interface file
under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts or
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/.  Now the interface is
ignored with an error message about having a different MAC address
than expected.  I frequently update remote machines by shipping
configured swappable drives so this becomes an interesting problem.

However, it seems to be intended behavior so instead of reporting it
as a bug, I'd like to know the correct procedure to prepare a drive
to run in an unknown target machine and where this might be documented.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com