[CentOS] Re: Modem - dial-up connection

Justin Kelly linuxppc at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 06:05:32 UTC 2005

Hi All

I've been trying for a while now to get my dial-up modem working on G4
PowerMac with CentOS PPC 4 beta 2.

I finally have some good news :)

I had an issue where my modem wasn't being detected, in wvdial I was
getting input/output errors
(http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=563&forum=34)

my solution - install the latest yellowdog kernel on centos-ppc

I downloaded the latest ydl kernel (2.6.10-1.ydl.1) from
http://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/yellowdog/updates/yellowdog-4.0/ppc/,
installed it. modified /etc/yaboot.conf and /etc/modprobe.conf(see
below) and now dial-up and sound work perfect :)

I tried to re-complie the centos-ppc kernel but couldnt find the
macserial option.

Im sure this is not everyones preferred method, but it works.

>From what i cant see of the ydl kernel the only main difference when
it comes to modems it that it has Macserial compiled in the kernel by
default where as centos-ppc doesn't.  If possible I would suggest this
be compiled in the centos-ppc kernel as well, im no kernel expert, i
just wont dial-up to 'just work'.

Now i just gotta get X working all nice and i'll be very happy.

hint: if anyone else tries this remeber use rpm -ivh and not rpm -uvh
to install the kernel, took me a few re-installs for me to learn this
lesson :)

Cheers

Justin Kelly

______________________________
/etc/modprobe.conf
______________________________
alias eth0 sungem
alias usb-controller ohci-hcd

#ALSA portion
alias char-major-116* snd
alias snd-card-0 snd_powermac

#OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14* soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

install snd-card-0 /sbin/modprobe ~@~Signore-install snd-card-0 && {
/usr/sbin/aslsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :; }
remove snd-card-0 { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || :; };
/sbin/modprobe -r ~@~Signore-remove
install sound-slot-0 /sbin/modporbe ~@~Signore-install sound-slot-0 &&
{ /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/null 22>&1 || :; }
remove sound-slot-0 { /sbin/modprobe -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >>/dev/null