[CentOS] different MAC address, ignoring

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 05:54:19 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 23:14, C. Linus Hicks wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 09:18 +0300, Nikos Zaharioudakis wrote:
> > I had a similar behaviour when I copied the ifcfg-eth... files from a
> > FC1 installation on the same machine after CentOS 4 installation. I
> > suspect they changed the sequence of scanning the pci bus.I mean from
> > bottom up and vice versa. Fortunately I had console access.
>
> This should only happen if you supply a value for HWADDR in your ifcfg-
> eth<n> config file. You either need to make sure it matches the new
> hardware, or take it out.

I didn't set it on purpose anywhere, but it ended up in
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/ifcfg-eth0, apparently
from the initial setup.  After the drive was copied, the IP address
was set with /usr/sbin/redhat-config-network-gui which until a
recent update was all that was necessary.

> The point of this code is for the case where some system change causes
> an existing interface to be detected in a different order than some
> earlier case, or someone simply wants to specify what name a specific
> piece of hardware gets. If you only have one ethernet adapter, there's
> no need to specify its MAC address, unless you want to name it something
> other than eth0. And if you have multiple adapters and you are happy
> with the names assigned during installation, the names will be
> consistent except under a few specific situations.

The machines in question have multiple NICs but only one is used - or
it was until the update decided to ignore it...

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com