[CentOS] Vncserver not serving up my gnome desktop, just a fancy terminal!

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 25 23:21:26 UTC 2005

Lee Parmeter wrote:
[snip]
> The Vino package was installed on my installation by
> default, but I am unable to connect to the CentOS 4 server from a client
> machine running Ubuntu Hoary (gnome 2.10). The  is rejected. Tried
> vncviewer using hostname:0 per documentation. So, I am now wondering what
> else needs to be done to enable remote connects to succeed. I did
> configure the "remote desktop" settings per discussion in the thread.

Check the usual suspects?  Is your firewall configured correctly?  Is vino
actually listening (netstat)?

I don't know vino specifically, does it leverage the VNC X module?

> I would just use the standard Xvnc and hostname:1, which is
> working, but when I login via vncviewer I am unable to do any root
> configuration via gnome.

I can't say I've seen this issue.  Do you have a Gnome session open on the
console at the same time?  I know Gnome doesn't like that.

--
William Hooper