[CentOS] losing NFS connection

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Tue Apr 26 13:33:03 UTC 2005

Marc Powell wrote:

>From: centos-bounces at centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On
>Behalf Of Angelo Machils

>>Which file do I have to edit in order to set the NIC into fixed state.

> It varies but mii-tool changes will be lost on reboot. There are several
> ways of getting around that from simplest to hardest --
>
> - Add '/sbin/mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD' to /etc/rc.local
> - Add '/sbin/mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD ${DEVICE}' to
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-post
> - research your card driver and add the appropriate arguments in
> /etc/modules.conf.
>
> I almost always opt for the first option. As has been previously noted,
> you must make sure that the switch, hub or router that you are connected
> to is also forced to the same speed and duplex.

I'd place local changes to /sbin/ifup-local.  It is invoked at the end
of ifup-post with interface name as argument.  This makes it ideal
location to place all local modifications.

The file does not exist by default and will not be clobbered on upgrades
(like many other files in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts).  Don't forget
to chmod it 755 after creating it.

Using /sbin/ifup-local makes sure interface gets into the forced mode as
soon as it is configured, and before any network services are started.
rc.local is executed after network services are already running and
serving connections.  This makes rc.local not suitable for the job.  For
example, if there is a service that takes long time to start, and it is
started after web or mail service, you'r server might have significant
traffic with interface still in wrong mode.

Placing something like this to ifup-local should do the trick:

# Make sure only eth0 is forced to 100FDX
if [ "$1" = "eth0" ]
then
    /sbin/mii-tool -F 100baseTx-FD "$1"
fi

Simillary, ifdown-post script invokes /sbin/ifdown-local with interface
name as argument if the file exists on the disk.  This makes them ideal
pair of scripts where you can do and undo changes to network interfaces
as they are configured and unconfigured.