[CentOS] NTP on CentOS 3.4

Tue Apr 19 15:34:36 UTC 2005
Jason Dixon <jason at dixongroup.net>

Running CentOS 3.4, I enabled the ntpd service and noticed that it
opens up a hole in the firewall for ntp from 127.127.1.0.  I look in
the ntpd initscript and see that it's reading in servers from
/etc/ntp/step-tickers.  However, that file is empty...
/etc/ntp/ntpservers contains clock.redhat.com and clock2.redhat.com,
but ntpservers isn't used *anywhere*.

This looks like a bug, but maybe I'm overlooking something stupid.  I
reviewed the RHEL manuals, but they only reference the GUI utilities
now (grrr).

Any ideas a) where 127.127.1.0 is coming from (parsing bug?), or b) why
the initscript doesn't reference /etc/ntp/ntpservers?

Thanks,

--
Jason Dixon
DixonGroup Consulting