[CentOS] system management - what do you use to manage your CentOS systems?

Mon Apr 4 00:18:34 UTC 2005
Greg Knaddison <greg.knaddison at gmail.com>

On Apr 2, 2005 7:35 PM, Paul <subsolar at subsolar.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 21:41 +0100, Lee W wrote:
> > Chris Weisiger wrote:
> >
> > Funny this topic came up now.  I recently been demoing Red Hat Desktop
> > and RHN.
> >
> > After a bit of playing around with RHN and looking at the code the the
> > rhn_check client I've found it to be a bit of a mess (IMHO). There are
> > many lines of TODO and I have even (just today) filed a bug as the more
> > recent clients don't even seem to work with the "Remove Package" feature
> > of RHN.
> >
> > I cannot really see any great encouragement from buying a RHN
> > subscription if this is the way the client/server has been coded. If
> > both sides of the configuration we completely open-source I wouldn't
> > have a problem with it as I know the changes / bug fixes even one files
> > would be available to all, but as long as Redhat keeps control of RHN I
> > don't think I will be paying for the subscription.
> >
> > Back to the point has anyone found / thought of implementing a kind of
> > Enterprise level YUM with the same sort of manageability of RHN.  I
> > looked at it myself but felt it would involve too much of a rewrite to
> > the YUM clients to do.
> >
> > Does YUM even support any kind of authentication HTTP or FTP?
> >
> > I believe a companion Management Server type solution would be a great
> > sister project to go along with Centos.  At least that's my opinion
>
> Lee,
> There is a project that was started back in the RH 7.3 days to reproduce
> an open source version of the server side of the RHN.  This project made
> it to the point where it would allow clients to register and pull
> updates from it and that is pretty much where it stuck.  A new
> maintainer has taken over the project and there is plans to implement
> client status tracking, and client management.
>
> You can check it out at http://current.tigris.org/ and help out if you
> want.
>
> I used to use it to maintain a hand full of servers and a couple
> desktops until RH dropped support for their Retail versions.

Having never used RHN...what is the functionality you are looking for
from a server based implementation of RHN?  It sounds like quite a bit
of work and I think that cron and some shell scripting could get a
similar task done.

Something like:
https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2005-March/006188.html

What would this "RHN-like" functionality get you beyond the nag emails
from that cron script?  I tried reading about the functions of
"current" but couldn't find them on the website.

Greg