[CentOS] Re: Re: Re: mkbootdisk!

Tue Apr 5 12:32:45 UTC 2005
Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com>

On Apr 5, 2005 7:17 AM, israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu
<israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu> wrote:

> On Mon, April 4, 2005 8:42 pm, israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu said:
> > On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 08:55 -0500, israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu wrote:
> >> I'm trying to make a bootdisk in  my CentOS server and I got this
> >> error..
> >>
> >> any ideas?
> >>

> >> [root at server:~]$ rpm -qa kernel kernel-2.6.9-5.0.3.EL
> >> [root at server:~]$ mkbootdisk 2.6.9-5.0.3.EL --device
> >> /dev/fd0 Insert a disk in /dev/fd0. Any information on the disk will be
> >> lost. Press <Enter> to continue or ^C to abort:
> >> cp: writing `/tmp/mkbootdisk.d20227/initrd.img': No space left on device
> >> cat: write error: No space left on device
> >> cat: write error: No space left on device
> >> 20+0 records in
> >> 20+0 records out

> > Johnny, If I can not use a floppy any more to boot my server, What can I
> > use to
> > boot the server in case of a crash? How can I make a CD bootdisk to my
> > CentOS
> > Server? Is there another way to boot my server?
> >
> > regards;
> >
> > Israel

> Dan,....... I know the option "linux rescue mode" works fine, but, my CentOS
> servers have a Software RAID (raid 1) installed and I used to make a bootdisk in
> case of a RAID failure (or a HDD crash), so, Now I can not make my bootdisk
> 'cause the error above...... in this case what can I use to boot my server and
> keep my Soft RAID working?
>
> thanks for all your soon answers
> regards,

I'm confused. If your raid crashes, what good is a boot floppy (which
is now totally impossible - the kernel and initrd will not fit on a
floppy) in the first place? You would be looking at a rebuild of the
raid and/or a restore from backup, so why not just use the CD in
resucue mode as recommended? What could a floppy possibly do that the
CD could not?

Please advise.

--
 Collins
       When I saw the Iraqi people voting three weeks ago, 8 million of them,