[CentOS] Creating CentOS DVD from scratch

Tue Apr 5 20:05:10 UTC 2005

On Tue, April 5, 2005 2:01 pm, Aleksandar Milivojevic said:
> I've found discussion about this in list archives, but no final answers.
>   Many helpfull people wrote in the past how to avoid creating DVD
> (install from network, install from disk, boot this way, boot that way).
>   But, I do need DVD, no way around it.  No network, no USB, no floppy,
> no anything.  Placing files on hard drive not an option.  Just a DVD-ROM.
>
> By Googling around, I found some pointers how to do it for Red Hat 8/9
> and Fedora Core.  Basically, something along the lines:
>
> mkisofs -o centos-dvd.iso -V 'CentOS 4.0' \
>          -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat \
>          -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table \
>          -r -J -T .
>
> I am able to boot from this DVD image, however Anaconda does not
> recognize it as CentOS installation CD/DVD.  I guess it is either
> checking volume label or .diskinfo file (or whatever it is called).
> Could somebody please save me from downloading 2+ GB DVD image
> containing files I already have (which I probably couldn't do anyhow, I
> probably can't use torrent, unless it is using port 80 (?), and there's
> no DVD image on CentOS download site).
>
> --
> Aleksandar Milivojevic <amilivojevic at pbl.ca>    Pollard Banknote Limited
> Systems Administrator                           1499 Buffalo Place
> Tel: (204) 474-2323 ext 276                     Winnipeg, MB  R3T 1L7

put the .discinfo file from CD-1 in the main directory ... then edit it
and make it look like this:

1109642504.647574
CentOS 4.0
i386
1,2,3,4
CentOS/base
CentOS/RPMS
CentOS/pixmaps

(the 1109642504.647574 and the i386 both may be different ... depending on
your distro)

also ... if the distro has more or less discs on it, change the 1,2,3,4 to
1,2,3,4,5 ... etc.

This file goes in the main directory ...
--
Johnny Hughes
<http://www.HughesJR.com/>