[CentOS] Manual Paritioning with fdisk

Tue Apr 12 03:56:41 UTC 2005
Gerald Waugh <gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com>

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 22:34 -0500, Paul wrote:

> > > I believe so ... I usually make a 100MB /boot partition on the first
> > > drive and a similar sized /boot2 partition on the second drive and once
> > > things are up & running and use dd to copy the boot loader on the second
> > > drive and copy the files from /boot to /boot2 every time I update the
> > > kernel.
> >
> > Looks like your correct, if I make a small partition on each drive and
> > format it ext3, then make the rest of the partitions RAID it works OK.
> >
> > That disk druid is a mess, when trying to partition two drives. It keeps
> > moving the dam partitions around. for example I partition hda like I
> > want then make hdc1 to match hda1, then try to make another partition to
> > match hda2, it will change the first partition to hdc2 and make the new
> > one hdc1...
>
> That's why I tell it to put the partition on a specific drive ... it
> would be nice if you selected a particular drive then it would default
> to putting the partition on that drive.

I thought I did, when creating a partition there is hda and hdc, and I
set the asterisk on the drive I am working on. Still does not work
correctly. So I used a rescue disk, partitioned both drives as I wanted
with fdisk. Then when I tried to make RAID partitions with disk druid,
it would give member choices like hda2/hdc3 or hda4/hdc2, it never would
let me create members like hda2/hdc2 and so forth.

Gerald