[CentOS] Serial ATA hardware raid.

Fri Apr 15 20:57:27 UTC 2005
Franki <franki at htmlfixit.com>

Jonathan wrote:
> Franki:
>
> Can't speak for all of them, but the IDE 160s I bought failed me pretty
> hard (2 of 6 failed within a year).  The 250s Sata 8ms I bought for a
> NAS application have been rock solid.
>
> Seems inconsistent, but in general the WD Sata drives I have are pretty
> solid.
>
> Jonathan

I don't understand, aren't they more or less the same drive with a
different PCB on the back?
I'm just remembering all the problems I had several years back when I
was running RH4-6.2 on WD drives.

I would imagine that with striping, the 8MB 7200 drives would be good
enough, and besides, it's not like I can't upgrade later.
The 10,000rpm drives have me alittle worried about heat and longevity
anyway.

Thanks for all your help guys, I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge on
this list.

regards

Frank