[CentOS] Serial ATA hardware raid.

Sat Apr 16 18:09:24 UTC 2005
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 07:46, Franki wrote:
> After reviewing my needs, my budget, and the fact that the budget has to
> account for a mailserver, a DNS server as well as IDS and a heap of
> other hardware, I've decided that cost and data redundancy are the two
> big criteria I need to look at. I'll settle for just mirroring as long
> as it's hardware mirroring.

Note that software mirroring has some advantages too and is not
a big performance hit as long as the underlying hardware uses
DMA and works independently (i.e. don't do it with drives
on the same IDE controller cable).  I consider it a big
plus to be able to take a drive from a mirrored pair, plug
it into just about any computer without worrying about having
exactly the same brand of controller, and recover the data - or
take over the service the broken computer was providing.

And by the way, there's nothing wrong with running a DNS server
and mail server on the same machine - but you should have a 2nd
dns server which can also provide other services.   You might need
a bit more RAM but DNS typically is not a big cpu load.

--
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com