[CentOS] Proper driver for bridged SiS 741GX chip set....

Mon Apr 18 12:32:42 UTC 2005
Olaf Greve <o.greve at axis.nl>

Hi,

I've just installed CentOS on my new machine and I'm wondering about a
thing: the refresh rate is set rather low (it looks like 50Hz), whereas
the monitor can at least support 75Hz in 1152x864 resolution (which is
the resolution I set the monitor at).

Now... for some reason CentOS decided to use the generic VESA video
driver, so perhaps this is the issue, and perhaps a better (i.e. more
specific) video driver would give me the additional refresh rates, but
then, from Gnome's -> System Settings -> Display menu, I do not see any
choices for the refresh rate at all. It does, however, make change to
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.

The motherboard is an ASRock K7S41GX, and it seems the video adapter
that is used is a bridged (North Bridge?) SiS 741GX  one.
Unfortunately the CD-ROM that came with the machine only has W*nd*ws
drivers for this chip set. :(

Does anyone know if I can somehow force the generic VESA driver to run
at 75Hz, or does anyone know where I can find the proper video driver (I
do not see it listed in the list of available video drivers)?

Meanwhile, I'll take a look myself on Google as well, but I hope someone
can give me some quick pointers...

Cheers!
Olafo