[CentOS] CentOS 3.3 is gone

Tue Apr 19 02:21:58 UTC 2005
Lance Davis <lance at uklinux.net>

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, John Newbigin wrote:

> So I need to install from the 3.3 media
> And then update to the versions on the 3.4 media
> And then install the 3.4 updates?

No - just install 3.3 media and then update to 3.4.

> If I had 3.4 media I could just install off that.  I am looking at a
> local mirror setup which does not require me to download new CDs every 3
> months.

as long as your 3.3 is a symlink to 3.4 the update will happen directly
to 3.4 - it will pull stuff from /os as well as /updates but everything is
there :)

> I still can't figure it out :(  Every time I look things have changed.
>

> I also have another question which I will ask here.... it is about the
> x86_64 updates
> http://mirror.centos.org/centos-3/3.4/updates/x86_64/RPMS/
>
> There are i386 updates in there.  Are these required?

That is better answered by one of the x86_64 maintainers.

> They are the same
> as the i386 versions.  If so, I end up downloading them multiple times
> which is a pain :(

They should be hardlinks to the i386 rpms - which rsync will respect as
long as you use -H and only download once.

Regards

Lance

--
uklinux.net -
The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.